Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Aunt Margaret

 I smiled as I looked at the envelope. It was from my Aunt Margaret. She was a sweet lady but took a lot of teasing from the rest of the family. She is the typical spinster, never dating and always happy to live by herself. She always remembered everyone’s birthdays and anniversaries. I wondered what this was? My birthday was months away and nobody will ever forget the date of my wife Nancy and my anniversary. We were married on New Year’s Day.

An invitation?


“Nancy, you’ll never believe this. Aunt Margaret is getting married!”


“You’re kidding! Who’s the man?”


“I don’t know but we are invited to an engagement party”


It said it all right there in the invitation. 

Surprise. You are invited to celebrate the engagement of Margaret Thumble to her mystery suitor. 6pm Saturday, May 14, 2005. Arlington Steak House 1724 W Division St, Arlington.


Hand written on the back was a note that said;

Martin. I do hope that you and dear Nancy can make this. It would mean so much to me. I wouldn’t want y'all to miss the fun.

Margaret


The next two weeks went by in a fury. We must have lit up the entire Dallas - Fort Worth phone system talking to friends and relatives trying to find out who this mystery man was. Nobody had a clue. I even tried the direct approach and called Aunt Margaret herself.


“Aunt Margaret, come on and tell me. Who is this man?”


“I’ll tell you the same hints that I’ve told the rest of them. He’s tall, dark, handsome and

quiet just like I like em”


The day finally got here. We were itching for information. I think the whole family showed up an hour early trying to get a glimpse of this man. Of course the restaurant made us wait outside. There was an afternoon bridal party using the back reception room.

Finally the restaurant allowed us entry. Heads bobbed left and right looking for Margaret and her fiancĂ©e. Instead we faced a delicious appetizer bar filled with all sorts of mouth- watering food. Slowly the search party turned into a festive gathering all awaiting the arrival of Margaret and her beau. Cousins that I hadn’t seen in years were there. I couldn’t believe it; even Uncle Larry who had moved to Seattle made it to this party. A back slapping hug was in order.


“Martin! What has it been,  8 years?”


“More like 10, you weasel! I can’t believe you went and moved. So how long are you here

for?”


All of a sudden, all sound in the room stopped and heads turned to watch Aunt Margaret stroll into the restaurant. Eyes peered into the empty space behind her and back to her smiling face. She stopped in the corner and all eyes followed her.


“Welcome everyone! I am glad you could all make it. I can taste all your eager anticipation. Where is my mystery man?”


The crowd started chanting “Mystery man. Mystery man”.


Aunt Margaret smiled broadly and held up her hand to quiet us down.


“Now, I told most of y’all that he is tall, dark, handsome and quiet. I met him on my trip

to the Midwest this spring and I just had to have him. I’d like you all to meet Quentin”


Standing to her left where she was pointing was a cigar store Indian. I looked at Nancy who looked at me. I’m sure she was thinking what I was thinking. Aunt Margaret had finally lost her mind. Murmurs filled the room with questioning and puzzled looks shooting all over. 


Finally...


Aunt Margaret started laughing loudly. A full belly roar. We looked at her this time, sure she had slipped loose. She settled down and blurted out...


“Now how else could I get this whole family together?”


No comments: