Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Obsessions

I carry a camera with me... always. It's not a great camera but it is one that stays true and near. I have taken over 12,000 pictures with it and during that time I have learned that it needs a bit of extra help to produce a good image. It is at its best when there is sufficient light, a steady hand and a subject that is close at hand. I wonder how it feels as I hold it in my hands and point it at the world like I am behind the lens of a big boy camera? What does it think as I dwarf it on a large tripod pointing it towards a subject well out of its range?

Obsessions can drive you.

The question is where they take you. Is that where you want to be?

I have cautiously taken a ride with this one. I have watched as it has driven me past the laughter of family. I know at times I am the butt of the joke but I am OK with that. There is endearment in the laughter. Hopefully it doesn't bring too much embarrassment. There is that fine line I wonder about.

Like my oldest son's graduation.
A crowning moment for him.
A proud moment for me.
A fabulous opportunity for this obsession...

Sitting in the front row of the standing room only hall filled with friends and family was my oldest son's father. Perched in front of him was a tiny silver camera sitting on top of a huge tripod. 300 pictures were taken with it as real photographers scooted around the obstruction being careful not to block the view of that tiny lens. When it was all said and done most of those images were unusable. The image that got the most comment in fact was not even taken by that camera. It was one that was posted on the school's website. It was an image taken by not a pretend camera. It was an image of a proud dad sitting in front of a huge tripod viewing a display as he snapped picture after picture of the graduation...

So... I am cautious of the ride. Content to hold onto my play toy pretending to allow the obsession to drive. Content to wait for an opportunity for a real camera. Content to realize that there are more important things in life.

Yes... I am cautious.
I don't want to have tunnel vision...




This image was taken walking that line...
I took my youngest son up the stairs of a monument... 155 feet tall. We shared that experience and the camera went along with us. It will help us relive the moment but it was the moment that meant the world. It was the feeling that washed over me as I watched him grip his fear of heights and climb those stairs to the very top...

and yes... there are some obsessions that will always drive me and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: